the film collective
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Synecdoche, New York

Go down

Synecdoche, New York Empty Synecdoche, New York

Post  Cinemateus Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:47 am

Unfortunately missed this film at le cine, but have finally seen it on Dee Vee Dee.

It was written by Charlie Kaufman, who did Eternal Sunshine and Being John Malkovich and is very similar in it's style although this time Kaufman directs as well. The result being an even deeper visual exploration of the narrative than BJM or ES, in that Kaufman seems to integrate his dialogue very purposefully and the scenes are all very layered offering developments of the sub-plots in a purely visual manner.

The story is about a theatre director whose life seems to be falling down around him. An unexpected genius grant offers him the chance to do something meaningful. In the end he uses it purely to chronicle and probably speed up his own demise.

It is a strange film to watch and there are periods where everything slows down and you remember that you are watching a film and maybe you should be making one instead...

The DVD came with the option to copy it onto the computer which was nice, so although it was rented I still have a copy of it. And I think it deserves another viewing. It feels as if watching it again would be rewarding. Films don't often feel like that.

As with Wes Andersons persistent drive towards a more defined state of auteur, I wonder what Kaufman will create next. It seems he really is 'auteur', new film Cold Souls being reviewed everywhere as Kaufmanesque.

A very funny, moving, meaningful film, wonderfully made. Go see.
Cinemateus
Cinemateus
Admin

http://www.cinemateus.com

Back to top Go down