the film collective
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Diving Bell and the Butterfly and a little bit The Sea Inside

Go down

Diving Bell and the Butterfly and a little bit The Sea Inside Empty Diving Bell and the Butterfly and a little bit The Sea Inside

Post  Cinemateus Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:48 am

Based on the incredible true story of Jean-Dominique Bauby (played by Mathieu Almeric) and directed by Julian Schnabel.

Jean-Do (for that is what his friends call him) has locked-in syndrome, caused by a stroke, and can only move his left eye. His speech therapist develops a method for them to communicate and Jean-Do decides to write his memoirs.

The film is slick and stylish, and looks very French. The colours in the frame are straight from Jeunet.

I thought it was a really great looking film and a powerful story... I just didn't feel like there was a relationship between these elements. One didn't really enhance the other.

A similar film is The Sea Inside. It is only similar in so far as the main character is unable to move. Although in TSI, Ramon (played by Javier Bardem) can kind of move his head, and can speak. Ramon is able to live at his brothers house and is cared for by his brothers family and his father. I think the difference is, with TSI, we are shown inside Ramon's head, we fly with him over the hills to the sea, we share his fantasies and so we get a sense of how trapped he is by glimpsing his dreams. With TDBatB we spend most of our time inside Jean-Do's head -but looking out. We are forced to see the world from his perspective but do not leap so fully into his imagination. We hear a narration of it and we hear his thoughts but it gives a completely different feeling. At the end of TSI, Ramon commits suicide. Jean-Do dies. TSI makes you want Ramon to be able to resolve everything and be able to cope with life, DBatB makes you respect Jean-Do's courage and ability to carry on.

Both are based on real people which affects the way you watch it and understand it as well as the way i feel like discussing it.
Cinemateus
Cinemateus
Admin

http://www.cinemateus.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum