the film collective
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

seven pounds vs slumdog millionaire

Go down

seven pounds vs slumdog millionaire Empty seven pounds vs slumdog millionaire

Post  poco Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:31 pm

i feel seven pounds is suffereing some what, along with a few others at the moment, from the power slumdog seems to be exerting.
the release of the british film has somehow grasped our nation, and from an awful plot and unknown actors has come the biggest hype since james bond it would seem. honestly im glad i didnt put this high on my priority list, choosing to watch seven pounds and the wrestler first, and only getting round to slumdog as it fitted in better with my working hours than milk.
ok so it is pretty good, and you do get suckered into the story, the music keeps it alive and the fast paced camera action, although very city of god inspired, is always good, its just a shame the whole movie couldnt stick to the pace. a question, then a flashback, then a question then a flashback got very predictable and probably could have been better arranged. i did like the movie, i just dont think people should over look something like seven pounds, which although is not british goods, is good.

will smith, tends to be a reliable marker for a good movie, lets put wild wild west to the back of our minds for a moment, and delivers just that.
confusion is upon us from the very beginning of the movie, which follows a slightly cyclic narrative by starting with end, a la fight club. the jumps in time and place keep you wondering what is going on, and its not untill about half way through the film that you start to gain an understading of what really is going on. this was maybe a little long to leave us in the dark, but you forgive them as you can finally get drawn into the depth of the story.
i believe that trailers these days are shocking, leaving many good films unwatched, and that is maybe what has failed this film slightly. the trailer reveals nothing and thats why i think people are waiting for this one on tv or dvd instead of just risking it at the cinema, theyre opting for the reliable feel good film raving reviews british slumdog millionaire. and lets face it, if youre not lucky enough to get free tickets youre not gonna visit the cinema more than once a week, so by your next visit a failing seven pounds has been dropped.
slumdog millionaire is a good movie and i would recommend you check it out, just dont overlook what else there is. i must admit i wasnt sure what to expect as i sat down to watch seven pounds, but i really loved it, and the fact i had gone in with no expectations just made it better, unlike slumdog which has been highly rated and so had some high standards to meet, and just didnt quite get there.

poco

Back to top Go down