the film collective
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Serious Man

Go down

A Serious Man Empty A Serious Man

Post  Cinemateus Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:40 am

Hyped up as the best Coen film yet, A Serious Man had a lot to prove.

It sure is strange. Watching it, I could feel the whole way through that it was only going to feel completed in the ending. I mean this in the way all the events leading up to the end are carefully lining themselves up for the punchline.

It is surprisingly heavy in Jewish lingo. Well tricky. Which works well as it highlights the community that exists.

The Coen's seem to have been putting out films super fast recently, with No Country For Old Men, Burn After Reading and now this. They have really found their groove.

There are a few parts threads of narrative that seem to fade out quite appropriately as the main character works his way through all the confusion. Our protagonist is quite the anti-hero. He reaches a point where he seems to break, and begins to make a series of decisions that are potentially quite liberating. However, things change and he happily slips back to something closer to what he had at the start. This kind of lazy, decision-making is a really interesting part of the film, and just as it sets everything back to a kind of normal, fate speaks up.

Quite similar in tone to Burn After Reading, it's confusingly good.

CIA Superior: What did we learn, Palmer?
CIA Officer: I don't know, sir.
CIA Superior: I don't fuckin' know either. I guess we learned not to do it again.
CIA Officer: Yes, sir.
CIA Superior: I'm fucked if I know what we did.
CIA Officer: Yes, sir, it's, uh, hard to say
CIA Superior: Jesus Fucking Christ.

Last edited by Cinemateus on Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : unfinished)
Cinemateus
Cinemateus
Admin

http://www.cinemateus.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum