the film collective
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MOON moon moon moon.

Go down

MOON moon moon moon. Empty MOON moon moon moon.

Post  Cinemateus Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:51 am

Saw this last night avec Poco.

turns out the cinema de lux is the only place showing it in Leicester at the moment. it was showing on the smallest screen in the place due to Potter's dictatorship over british film. anyway, was packed out. seems like a fair few people might have kept their heads above the HP hype and put their money towards something else.

it was really nice to see this film in that setting, made it all a bit more personal.

So, the film. It is shot with a very precise style, very lunar. It sets up this scenario, future-harvesting-energy-on-the-moon with eloquence which lets us get straight on to the business of Sam (sam rockwell). The lone crew member on the base on the far side of the moon. Aided by Gerty (kevin spacey) who is a computer, Sam is nearing the end of his 3 year contract with the energy company and desperate to return home and see his wife and child.

However, things get a little lunar loco and a very hard to guess series of events takes place. It is delightfully unpredictable in fact. And unexpectedly so.

The score is another perfect piece of art from Clint Mansell and sets everything up so nicely.

I can't really say much more as I would hate to spoil any of the narrative.

If you have the chance to see this film take it. I believe it is about to step it's release up to something wider so there should be more opportunity. Director Duncan Jones has made a solid debut and I look forwards to seeing where he will go next.

Best viewed in close proximity to space-geeks slurping cola, older folk avoiding harry potter a sprinkling of people who couldn't get in to harry potter and a healthy dose of people who know a good thing when they see it.
Cinemateus
Cinemateus
Admin

http://www.cinemateus.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum