the film collective
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Appaloosa.

Go down

Appaloosa. Empty Appaloosa.

Post  poco Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:04 pm

This film majorly missed out on being a success, and I think it’s a darn shame.
Now if you approach your average cinema goer these days and tell them that this new film is out and it’s meant to be really good, they’ll generally wanna find out more. But then you get onto the fact that it’s a western and anything remotely attractive about the film, Viggo Mortensen, Renee Zellweger and Ed Harris for example, has completely been erased by the fact that yes, it is a western.
So there’s your average cinema goer out of the picture(s), and then from what I observed all we managed to attract were the weird old men with nothing to do at 11 o clock in the morning, the western lovers, now these last two do seem to be linked categories, and the people who have accidentally ended up watching the wrong film or just wanted to watch whatever was in directors (the directors lounge showcase cinema de lux).
Now to be fair the situation I explained at the very beginning is exactly what I thought, a western, ergg, who watches westerns these days, I bet its rubbish. But on one of those lonely day shifts at the cinema with no one in to watch the film I thought why play the film when no ones watching. So to make the excessive use of energy, lighting and effort from the projectionists, worth while I went into the screen and watched the film. And boy, it was good. I had to keep popping out to make it look like I was actually working, but I was so gripped by the story I didn’t want to. I had to watch the second screening too to make sure I hadn’t missed anything.
The style of the film is classic, but cool, and the style of the characters is swell, their clothes their personalities. A very adventurous film but in a laid back way, it was just great.
I’d recommend this film to anyone. Overcome your fear of watching a film that isn’t your usual genre and just dare to watch it. You’ll be surprisingly impressed.

( I actually watched this when it was first released at the cinemas, as you will have gathered, and just recently re watched it now its out on DVD)

poco

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum