the film collective
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Slumdog Millionaire

Go down

Slumdog Millionaire Empty Slumdog Millionaire

Post  Cinemateus Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:20 am

There is so much hype surrounding this film now... probably partly because it is British.

It was good though. I just didn't enjoy it as much as everyone said I would.

It opens with a scene straight from City of God, and the film is littered with shots borrowed from top dog slum films City of God and Tsotsi. And I guess that can't really be avoided, it just goes with the location.

Also similar in cinematography is Chungking Express, there's plenty of step-printing(?). The cinematography is good and the blend of stylish shots and angles, bright colours and grainy images looks kind of nineties but in a good way. As soon as the theme tune for WWTBAM starts it does feel a bit like a tv movie. Strange.

The actual plot didn't really appeal to me, it's all back and forth, a question on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? and then a chapter from the dude's life, and it's not really as feel-good as i was expecting.

Okay, i'm being unfair.

The music is really good, although some of the use of M.I.A seems kind of off.

It is a good film, just slightly annoyed at how dominant it is over the other films out at the moment that are at least as good.

Just don't watch it if you are allergic to the music from Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.
Cinemateus
Cinemateus
Admin

http://www.cinemateus.com

Back to top Go down